Classical Music - Popular, Famous, Best, Top 100 - Kickass Classical
  Forums
Home Composers Top 100 Top 200 Top Themes
About Forums YouTubeYouTube FacebookFacebook TwitterTwitter

4th Of July Classical Music

Start here.

4th Of July Classical Music

Postby kickassclassical » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:57 pm

There are plenty of classical music pieces that say "Fourth Of July," "Fireworks," and "America." And they're not all by American composers.

Here's our Top Ten 4th Of July Classical Music Pieces:

10. Dvorak "Symphony No. 9 (New World): IV"
Preview | Preview | iTunes | Amazon

9. Copland "Appalachian Spring: Simple Gifts"
Preview | iTunes | Amazon

8. Handel "Music For The Royal Fireworks: La Rejouissance"

7. Arnaud "Bugler's Dream"

6. Copland "Rodeo: Hoedown"

5. Gershwin "Rhapsody In Blue"

4. Howe "Battle Hymn Of The Republic"

3. Copland "Fanfare For The Common Man"

2. Sousa "The Stars And Stripes Forever"

1. Tchaikovsky "1812 Overture"

We hope these pieces will add to your enjoyment of the American Independence Day holiday!

sousa.jpg
Classical Music For The Fourth Of July
sousa.jpg (22.21 KiB) Viewed 5938 times
kickassclassical
Site Admin

Re: 4th Of July Classical Music

Postby NCF » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:35 am

If I may be so bold, I would like to post some belated thoughts about this list in hopes of facilitating the release of a new and improved edition next year.

I find it odd that “Battle Hymn of the Republic” is here attributed to Howe. The melody is a truly old folk tune in that it’s had other sets of lyrics (John Brown’s Body) and that the composer has been lost to time. Furthermore, if we are to classify this patriotic folk song as classical music, we should also consider the inclusion of other similarly popular patriotic tunes - such as “America the Beautiful” and “God Bless America” - which I think represent the nation better than the fireworks music and Bugler's Dream. In fact, some US Army bugle calls may be better representative than this telecasting snippet; perhaps Taps or To The Colors.

Thanks for reading this; hopefully my suggestions come across as suitably modest!
NCF

Re: 4th Of July Classical Music

Postby kickassclassical » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:04 pm

Great suggestions, and we agree! Another great resource is our Top Themes page. Sort by Keyword for bugle calls and military themes that might also be appropriate.

As for the authorship of the tune of "Battle Hymn of the Republic," you are absolutely right. While Julia Ward Howe is the author of the words, the tune really should be attributed to "traditional" or "anonymous." We'll make the change.

"America The Beautiful" and "God Bless America" are great suggestions, and we would add "My Country 'Tis Of Thee," mainly because it was America's appropriation of a tune used for the German Empire, the Weimar Republic, and Britain.

Thanks again for the great feedback.
kickassclassical
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion