Classical Music - Popular, Famous, Best, Top 100 - Kickass Classical
  Forums
Home Composers Top 100 Top 200 Top Themes
About Forums YouTubeYouTube FacebookFacebook TwitterTwitter

Trying To Nail Down This Tune From A Bad Trailer...

What's that classical music I heard?

Trying To Nail Down This Tune From A Bad Trailer...

Postby goroshnik » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:05 pm

Hey there! So glad I came across this site, as I'm trying to find a title for a song. I'm hoping you can help out. A friend of mine has been trying for 20 years, believe it or not, to find the name of this song, and I'm pretty sure someone here will get it in just a little less time than he will.

Anyhoo, here's the clip. About 1:10 into this trailer for a 1990's sci-fi film, "Warlock: The Armageddon", you'll hear the chorus kick in, and they continue right through to the end of the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMjbf4o7oI
goroshnik

Re: Trying To Nail Down This Tune From A Bad Trailer...

Postby goroshnik » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:39 am

What my friend couldn't find out in 20 years, I managed to track down in under a week. It's a composition called "Declamation" by Chris Payne. It was written in either the late 1980's or early 90's. Take a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXImZdrrm-I

Here's some info I dug up about Chris:

"'Declamation' was indeed written by Chris Payne. Chris was born in 1957 and is classically trained musician, he graduated from Chichester College of Music in 1979. He then forsook it all and joined Gary Numan as a keyboard player! He stayed with Numan full-time until 1981 when Numan 'retired' and his backing band became Dramatis. At the same time, along with Billy Currie and Midge Ure from Ultravox he wrote the classic 80s hit 'Fade to Grey'. He then joined another 80s band (Dead or Alive) but mainly worked as a session musician.

Getting bored with pop he wanted to return to 'proper' music and use his orchestration skills. He was approached by Chappel to "Write something that sounds like the Old Spice music" (This was 'O Fortuna' from Carl Orf's 'Carmina Burana' and was being used to advertise Old Spice aftershave) and the result was 'Declamation' and a series of pieces like it.

Chris is still writing 'classical' music for TV and adverts but has also returned to on of his very earlierst loves which is Celtic/Cornish/Acoustic music."
goroshnik

Return to What's That Classical Music?