Forums
Home Composers Top 100 Top 200 Top Themes
About Forums YouTubeYouTube FacebookFacebook TwitterTwitter

I Can't Get This Out Of My Head

What's that classical music I heard?

I Can't Get This Out Of My Head

Postby orion » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:09 am

Hello,
I have been hearing this in my head for days. It starts with the clean full notes of a single instrument, a french horn or a clarinet, possibly? In my mind it plays through this 13 note theme, then more instruments join. I've searched and searched because it makes me feel like the day is dawning. and maybe that's where it's familiar to me, from a movie or something? It's just so beautiful and dainty then powerful. Just thinking about this and how it makes me feel has me realizing I should be listening to more classical music.
I used the Les Paul's 96th Birthday Google doodle to record the sequence one time through. Forgive my lack of basic knowledge to get it to you otherwise...
It's all major keys if played on this scale.

http://goo.gl/doodle/BddKd

Thank you so much for helping!!
orion

Re: I Can't Get This Out Of My Head

Postby NCF » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:28 am

That's the "Promenade" theme from "Pictures at an Exhibition" composed by the Russian romantic Modest Mussorgsky. As the name implies, its movements are intended to capture the mood of nobly touring an art gallery and were composed in conjunction with a particularly prestigious event of this sort. For more on its history as well as a few recordings, I think Wikipedia is a good resource to consult:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictures_at_an_Exhibition

Cheers,
Nathan

P.S. It's also very resourceful to utilize that Google page to convey the tune!
Last edited by NCF on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
NCF

Re: I Can't Get This Out Of My Head

Postby orion » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Thank you so much! So nice to hear not coming out of my own head for once.
orion

Return to What's That Classical Music?