Classical Music - Popular, Famous, Best, Top 100 - Kickass Classical
  Forums
Home Composers Top 100 Top 200 Top Themes
About Forums YouTubeYouTube FacebookFacebook TwitterTwitter

Music From The "Why We Fight" WWII Propaganda Films

What's that classical music I heard?

Music From The "Why We Fight" WWII Propaganda Films

Postby GCarty » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:00 am

There's three bits of music from the "Why We Fight" films I'd like you to attempt to identify for me.

Firstly, while some of the footage of Axis atrocities (such as in "The Nazis Strike" and "Divide and Conquer") is accompanied by the second movement of Beethoven's 7th Symphony, there was another theme used in this context -- you can hear it (for example) in The Battle Of China (where it is used in reference to the Rape of Nanking).

Secondly, could you identify any of the music between 0:36 and 2:37 in this clip?

And thirdly, what's the menacing, somewhat oriental-sounding music used here (and elsewhere when the subject of Japan is brought up)?

Thanks if you can help me here.
GCarty

Re: Music From The "Why We Fight" WWII Propaganda Films

Postby GCarty » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:09 am

By the way, one segment from "The Battle of Russia" that I was able to identify was Stravinsky's "The Infernal Dance of Kashchei" which is used here and here.
GCarty

Postby NCF » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:04 pm

My research indicates that some of the music was composed especially for the films by Dimitri Tiomkin, but it seems impossible to identify exactly which scores by any method other than ruling out older classical music that can be readily recognized.

The best I can do for now is identify the bugle call and the march "British Grenadiers" which open the Battle of Britain video you linked.

Cheers,
Nathan
NCF

Postby GCarty » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:57 am

I am familiar with "British Grenadiers" of course -- it was the main tune used to represent Britain in the Why We Fight series.

Another tune I recognized from a World War II propaganda film was Mussorgsky's "Night on Bald Mountain" which is used here in "Know Your Enemy: Japan".

Update: I've just identified Stravinsky's "Dance of the Earth", which was used in "The Battle of Russia" (for the 1242 battle against the Teutonic Knights -- the film footage was from "Alexander Nevsky"), in "The Battle of China" (for the bombing of Shanghai) and in "Know Your Enemy: Japan" (for Toyotomi Hideyoshi's invasion of Korea).
GCarty

Postby GCarty » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:05 am

The "atrocity" theme was also used (at least in part) in the Soviet documentary film about the Nuremberg Trials.
GCarty

Postby GCarty » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:31 am

NCF wrote:My research indicates that some of the music was composed especially for the films by Dimitri Tiomkin, but it seems impossible to identify exactly which scores by any method other than ruling out older classical music that can be readily recognized.
Think you may be right about the segments I enquired about, but I've found out that much of his music for the anti-Japanese films ("The Battle of China" and "Know Your Enemy: Japan") was inspired by Modest Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition".
GCarty

Return to What's That Classical Music?