Classical Music - Popular, Famous, Best, Top 100 - Kickass Classical
  Forums
Home Composers Top 100 Top 200 Top Themes
About Forums YouTubeYouTube FacebookFacebook TwitterTwitter

Hip-Hop, Rap And Classical

Start here.

Hip-Hop, Rap And Classical

Postby radioman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:36 pm

Can someone give me some insight on classical pieces that have been sampled in some hip-hop tracks? Thanks a lot.
radioman

Re: Hip-Hop, Rap And Classical

Postby kickassclassical » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:34 pm

The combination of hip-hop or rap and classical isn't as rare (or as odd) as you might think!

Nas "I Can" samples Beethoven "Für Elise".

Coolio "C U When U Get There" samples Pachelbel "Canon In D".

Robin Thicke "When I Get You Alone" samples Beethoven "5th Symphony". (Okay, really it samples Walter Murphy "A Fifth Of Beethoven," which samples Beethoven's 5th.)

Ludacris "Coming 2 America" samples both Mozart "Dies Irae" and the fourth and final movement of Dvorak "Symphony No. 9 In E Minor, From The New World" (commonly referred to as the "New World Symphony").

Kelis "Like You" samples Mozart "Queen Of The Night".

Beastie Boys "Intergalactic" samples Stravinsky "The Rite Of Spring".

The Rapsody featuring LL Cool J "Dear Mallika" samples Delibes "Flower Duet".

That's a good start to the list! Can anyone think of any others?
kickassclassical
Site Admin

Postby avc » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:19 pm

Beyonce's version of "Ave Maria" with new lyrics on her "I Am...Sasha Fierce" album.

Also, Beyonce starred in the 2001 made-for-MTV movie "Carmen: A Hip-Hopera," where many of the hip-hop music numbers were built on Bizet's themes.
avc

Postby avc » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:43 pm

Alicia Keys occasionally fuses classical into her songs. According to Wikipedia, "Karma" contains excerpts from "Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 77" by Johannes Brahms. (I believe it's Miri Ben-Ari, a hip-hop violinist who has worked with Kanye West and a lot of hip-hop figures.) "Like the Sea" contains an interpolation of "Arabesque No. 1" by Claude Debussy. "As I Am (Intro)" contains an interpolation of "Nocturne No. 20 in C-sharp minor, op. posth" by Frédéric Chopin.
avc

Postby ricexeater » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:23 pm

Eminem's not afraid when performed at the MTV music awards was to a classical beat in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-DUxRlbZfU
ricexeater

Postby Mikes » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:32 am

Warren G- "Prince Igor" uses- surprise,surprise- Borodin's Polovtsian Dances theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5noF3E9 ... re=related
Mikes

Postby arklissa27 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:16 am

Hello guys,"Joy" is one of Hayes' most sampled works. Like Eric B & Rakim, the likes of Massive Attack and TLC have also relied on this soulful gem as a source of inspiration for their own hits. "Keep the Beat" appears on Eric B & Rakim's fourth and final album, Don't Sweat the Technique.
arklissa27

Return to General Discussion